I Need To Think Of A Title

Nerdy rugby player living in Leicester who works for a Financial Services company. This is my personal website and my playground for trying out stuff. This website is currently available on GitHub and will be so for the foreseeable future. Because commit history is fun.

#007

18/01/2017

Long time no update, so a bit of a meatier one this time. With eu-west-2 becoming available I decided to shift the site there, because how hard could that be?

Turns out, not that difficult. Instead of using my standard deploy script, I used terraform directly to destroy my infrastructure. I'd like to figure out whether this was necessary one day, but it was already late. After destroying the infrastructure, I tried to rebuild it using the new region. This failed, exposing a few holes in my terraform file.

In short, I had missed out on components that I rely on in my infrastructure. The main concern was the security group used on the webserver. Previously I'd been using one that I'd manually recreated. This was not available in the new region. Rather than add it in manually again, I've now added it into the terraform configuration. This meanly that security groups are dynamically created as needed and attached to my webserver.

As well as explicitly adding the security group into the configuration, I also inspected the machine size that I was using. The site was running on a t2.micro instance, but given the low (read: no) traffic, I reckoned it'll fit on to a t2.nano at around half the cost. I updated this item of configuration in both the webserver and www, and now this site runs on the nice and cheap t2.nano.

Repositories Updated

#006

10/09/2016

Updated the webserver image by rebuilding it. Potential problem in that updates could cause problems when trying to rebuild from a commit in future. Updated the www repo with the new AMI to be based off of.

Repositories Updated

#005

28/08/2016

Added the introduction patch. Played with the LinkedIn widget, but it looked rubbish.

Repositories Updated

#004

26/08/2016

Introduced the Skeleton css base to give the page a very basic style. Updated the main index page with a couple of classes for layout. Included some horizontal rules because I like the separation between posts (though they're currently orphaned and not in a div).

Resources
Repositories Updated

#003

25/08/2016

Changed "Day" prefix on blog number to just "#". Because posting every day isn't happenning.

That's it. Small steps.

Repositories Updated

#002

22/08/2016

Split the webserver off to a seperate repository to seperate any webserver changes as the single repo got a tad cluttered. Removed the deploy script for it as it currently won't be deployed on its own.

Updated the main site to build off of the built webserver AMI. Don't like the hard-coding, but it will do for now.

Decided to add a blog of what I was doing and wrote up both Day 1 and Day 2.

Repositories Updated

#001

21/08/2016

First day of the website. No repositories, code, resources, anything.

Added a basic packer config file to build off of the Amazon Linux AMI, and to provision it with a version of a "Hello World" index page being served by nginx.

Created an initial Terraform config to define a single ec2 instance based off of the packer AMI built, and to update the Route53 entry for the domain and www subdomain to point to the created instance.

Created basic build / deploy scripts so that I didn't have to remember the terraform / packer cli syntax. Because Lazy.

Resources
Repositories Updated